Saturday, January 21, 2012

Boko Haram bombs Kano, kill Channels TV Enenche Akogwu

TERRORISTS suspected to be members of dreaded Islamic sect, Boko Haram, bombed the headquarters of Nigeria Police Force, Kano State, killing scores, including Channels Television correspondent, Enenche Akogwu and injuring many others.
They also unleashed terror on the State Security Services and Immigration Headquarters in the city killing and injuring people.
Terrorists, who engaged the policemen there in a gun duel stormed the state police command headquarters in Bompai.
Security sources said the gunmen had earlier attacked the Immigrations office at Farm Centre.
The attack at the police headquarters, according to report, was carried out by a suicide bomber driving a Honda Civic car.
The bomber, according to the report, succeeded in breaking through the gates of the building and rammed the car into the wall of a vocational centre in which wives of police officer learn sewing.
The building, which was completely destroyed is adjacent to the office of the Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of Zone 1.
At least, 30 others suffering from varying degrees of injuries have been taken to different hospitals across the state.
A witness, Garba Danazumi Lere, said he saw the bodies of three police officers and a local journalist after blast at the police zonal headquarters.
A second blast went off at the SSS headquarters along Sardauna Crescent after a first blast caused the security agents to cordon off the immediate vicinity of their office.
There have also been reports of an explosion at a motor park along New Road in Sabon Gari area and another police station at Yarakwa along Zaria road.
These added to the number of explosions and gun attacks that rocked the city yesterday evening.
Casualty figures from these sites are not yet known.
At the SSS headquarters, it was said that one of the attackers was killed and a second arrested in an earlier attack.
According to an orange seller who was selling oranges close to the Immigration office when the attack on that office started, the attackers were two in number.
‘I was peeling my oranges when all of a sudden two men walked to the building and began shooting at the immigration personnel there. I saw at least three of them fall before I ran for cover,’ he narrated.
It was after the shooting that the explosions began, he said.
A resident in Tarauni described a very thick dark cloud of smoke in the sky visible from his location to our reporter, most likely coming from the explosion at Ungwar Uku.
Immigrations spokesman, Mohammed Kanoma, said at least three officials were killed, as well as an unknown number of civilians in the attack.
The fresh explosions are happening two days after the alleged mastermind of the Christmas Day bombing of St. Theresa’s Church in Madalla, in Suleja escaped from police custody.
The BBC Hausa-language service claimed that a spokesman for the Boko Haram sect claimed the Friday's attacks across Kano, where at least four bombs exploded

No comments:

Post a Comment