Wednesday, February 15, 2012

26 year-old man on trial for stealing church offerings

Babatunde Ige, 26, is in police custody for allegedly stealing money from a church. The suspect was arraigned on Tuesday before an Igbosere Magistrate’s Court on a one-count charge of stealing N14,610 from the offering box of Church of Assumption, Falomo, in Ikoyi.


According to the charge sheet, the suspect was alleged to have been nabbed video evidence from a CCTV camera monitored by a guard in the church.

Police statements claimed Ige confessed to stealing the money from the church’s offering box. “This is my second time of stealing money from the church’s offering box,” he allegedly wrote in the statement. “The first was last year when I stole N5,000 successfully and I steal only N1,000 denominations with a curved tiny iron and scissors.

I would remain inside the church after closing hours pretending to be praying, and after I notice that the place is empty, I would move closer to where the church offerings boxes are kept and remove the highest denominations. I started to worship in the church last year to steal and not to worship God after I realised that the high and mighty go there to worship and donate generously.”

However, in court, Ige pleaded not guilty. The presiding magistrate W. B. Balogun, admitted him to bail in the sum of N23,000 with one surety who must show evidence of tax payment to the Lagos State government.

The accused has been remanded in Ikoyi Prison when nobody came to bail him before the court closed for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment